Summer’s heat has come and gone and your landscape is surely glowing. But there’s still yard work to accomplish. Proper fall lawn maintenance will give your grass the boost it needs to withstand winter and come back better than ever in spring.
Follow this simple checklist from Hicks Nurseries and The Espoma Company to give your lawn the TLC it needs before it goes dormant.
Get ready to whip your lawn into shape for spring.
Five Steps to Prep Your Lawn for Winter
1. Test Soil and Amend: Test soil now for pH and nutrient levels and amend accordingly. Dig 4” deep with a stainless steel trowel and either use a DIY soil test or send your soil sample to the county extension office.
2. Rake and Compost leaves: Rake or collect leaves in a mower with bagging attachment from the lawn and add to compost. Leaves add great nutrients to compost.
3. Dethatch: Thatch, a layer of dead grass, roots and debris that accumulates between the surface and the soil, can hinder water and air from reaching the soil. It also encourages pests and diseases. Break up small areas using a thatching rake or use a power dethatcher.
4. Time to Reseed: Fall is the best time to reseed tired and stressed lawns. With a broadcast spreader, apply a seed that best suits your region and weather.
5. Put Your Lawn to Bed: Fortify your lawn with nutrients to get ready for the cooler weather. An organic winterizer, such as Espoma’s Fall Winterizer, promotes growth, helps lawns recover from drought and increases winter hardiness. Follow package instructions.
Now that your lawn is ready for winter, it’s time to start planning your spring garden.
The Espoma Company has been the pioneer in natural gardening solutions since 1929. Espoma provides an extensive selection of natural products that work in harmony with nature and are safe for people, pets and the planet. The company produces more than 100 products to cover the nutritional needs of plants and to grow beautiful lawns and gardens. Visit www.espoma.com for more information and tips about organic gardening.