Hicks Nurseries offers an extensive selection of name brand lawn care as well as fertilizers, mulch, grass seed, sod and soil.
We have everything you need to keep your lawn looking its best every season, specializing in natural and organic products, in addition to offering traditional lawn care solutions.
Shop from the comfort of home for essential lawn care or visit our store in Westbury for the largest selection.
Caring for your lawn involves a few key tasks in order to keep it healthy and looking its best:
- Mowing: Mow your lawn regularly to keep the grass at a consistent height. Keep your mower blades sharp to avoid tearing the grass, and alternate your mowing pattern to prevent ruts from forming.
- Watering: Water your lawn deeply but infrequently, rather than giving it a light watering every day. This encourages the roots to grow deep into the soil, making your lawn more resilient to drought. Aim to water your lawn about once a week, giving it about 1-1 ½ inches of water per week in the summer or warmer months.
- Fertilizing: Fertilize your lawn in the spring and fall, using a high quality balanced fertilizer. Follow the instructions on the fertilizer package for the appropriate amount to apply.
- Weed and pest control: Keep an eye out for weeds and pests, and address them promptly. You can use an herbicide to kill weeds, but be sure to follow the instructions carefully to avoid damaging your lawn. Similarly, use insecticides or other pest control measures sparingly and carefully.
- Aeration: Occasionally, you may need to aerate your lawn to improve soil compaction and allow air and water to reach the roots more easily. Landscapers provide this service or you can rent an aerator and do it yourself.
For more lawn care information including seasonal tips, refer to our Lawn Care Made Simple Guide CLICK HERE
Got a Lawn Problem?
Put Our Experts on the Case.
Lawns prefer a pH range of 6.2 to 6.8 (6.5 is optimum). Lime is used to raise the soil pH if it is below the desired range. Bring a half-cup of DRY soil to our Lawn & Garden Information Desk; we will gladly test your soil’s pH for FREE and the results are available while you wait.
A proper pH is very important to a healthy lawn. Grass absorbs fertilizer and other minor elements best when the pH is within the optimal range leading to a healthier lawn with fewer weeds and less fungus. pH meters and kits are also available for sale for at-home, on-the-spot testing.