Now is the time to get your lawn in shape! The moderate daytime temperatures and warm soil of fall allows grass seed to germinate quickly. By late October your newly seeded lawn will be fresh, thick and ready to survive winter.
5 Easy Steps for Planting Grass Seed:
- Give the lawn a good raking. Remove dead grass and weeds.
- Loosen soil wherever possible and mix in a premium lightweight top soil.
- Next apply the seed mix that best suits your conditions. Our experts are here to help you choose the correct seed and to provide tips for easy application.
- Cover the newly spread seed with another thin layer of lightweight topsoil. It’s important to keep the seed moist, so be sure to check for water daily.
- Fertilize the entire lawn now and again in late October with a fall lawn fertilizer.
Great Products for Fall Lawn Care
Fall Magic™ Grass Seed: This grass seed repairs summer damage and provides an attractive, thicker, greener lawn all year long. Use on established lawns or to start a new lawn in shade and sun areas.
Winter Survival Fall Fertilizer: This Fall and winter feeding formula keeps your lawn greener later into the year with 30% slow release nitrogen.
Lime: Fall is the best time to apply lime to your lawn. Lime is used to raise the pH of soil if it is below the desired range of 6.2 to 6.8 (6.5 is optimum). A proper pH will help the grass to better absorb fertilizer, leading to a healthier lawn with fewer weeds and fungus.
We Offer Free pH Soil Testing
Bring a ½ cup of completely dry soil to our Lawn & Garden Information Desk any time for a free pH soil test while you wait. Learn more.
Have more questions about Fall seeding? Stop by our Garden Information Desk to speak in-person with one of our lawn care experts, call us at 516-334-0066 or email HicksInfo@HicksNurseries.com. We’re always here to help!