Find the perfect Christmas tree for your family at Hicks Nurseries! We have a spectacular selection of premium trees including the fraser fir, balsam fir and the new morin blue fir. Our dedicated staff will not only help you to find the perfect tree but will also provide a free cut, trim, netting and loading onto your car. Come shop the freshest trees available under cover and under lights!
Fresh Cut Tree Varieties
We sell 3 varieties of fresh cut Christmas trees:
- Frasier Fir is the most popular variety, known for its excellent needle retention, strong branches and good fragrance. If you have large or heavy ornaments, this tree would be a great choice for you.
- Balsam Firs are known for their strong fragrance, deep green color and softer needle. This is a very dense tree – exactly what you would expect a traditional Christmas tree to look like.
- New this year is the Morin Blue Fir, which is a cross between the Cook and Balsam Fir strains. It has a double needle look, good needle retention, strong fragrance and a slight bluish green color.
All of our trees are plantation grown – not harvested from woodlands.
Fresh Cut Tree Care
- Keep your tree in a bucket of water in a sheltered, unheated area such as a porch or garage until you are ready to bring it indoors.
- Place a tree removal bag underneath the tree stand to protect floors and carpets from moisture and to aid with tree removal later.
- Use Prolong® Tree Preservative when watering to keep your tree fresher longer.
- A tree will absorb as much as a gallon of water or more in the first 24 hours and one or more quarts a day thereafter. Water is important because it prevents the needles from drying and dropping off. Water also keeps the tree fragrant.
- Keep your tree stand filled with water. A seal of dried sap will form over the cut stump in 4-6 hours if the water drops below the base of the tree, preventing the tree from absorbing water again. If a seal does form, another fresh cut will need to be made.
- Keep your tree away from heat and drafts such as fireplaces, radiators and television sets.
So start the holiday season off right with a trip to Long Island’s Largest Christmas Store. We have everything you need to deck your halls.
Learn more here.