Poinsettias are the most popular flowering plant used to decorate homes and businesses during the holiday season. The plant is relatively easy to care for provided you follow a few simple tips.
How to Care for Poinsettia
- When purchasing your poinsettia, do not leave the store unless the plant is wrapped in a plant sleeve to protect it from the cold outdoor temperatures.
- Once home, carefully unwrap it and place it in a well-lit spot away from drafts and cold window frames.
- Poinsettias like a daytime room temperature of no more than 70 degrees and will hold their flowers longer if the temperatures are cooler.
- Keep poinsettias away from the heat of television sets, radiators and heating ducts.
- Water thoroughly when the soil is almost completely dry and be sure to drain off any excess water.
Poinsettias are available in many colors including white, pink and burgundy – red is by far the most sought-after color. Red is a real standout and makes a great holiday gift that will last for weeks in your home or office. If you want to be a little more adventurous, try a designer painted poinsettia from Hicks. They are available in a rainbow of colors to fit any decorating theme.
Truth versus Myth
Are poinsettias poisonous?
Poinsettias are the number one selling potted plant in the U.S, yet there is still misgivings and myths regarding its safety. We want you to rest assured that poinsettias are safe for your home, and are not hazardous to children or pets.
Are the red leaves the flowers?
Many people confuse the bracts of a poinsettia plant with the flowers. The flowers are actually the small yellow cluster in the center of the bracts.
Are poinsettias only a Christmas?
Nope. Poinsettia are actually tropical plants and they are native to Mexico.
Our greenhouse is filled with a fabulous array of beautiful poinsettias and other holiday plants. We have many sizes to choose from ranging from mini poinsettias to giant poinsettia bushes. Come see our selection and let our friendly knowledgeable staff help you choose the perfect poinsettia for your home or gift.