Poinsettias are far and away the most popular Christmas plant. Red is the favorite color followed by white and pink. At Hicks Nurseries, our greenhouse is filled with a huge array of varieties for you to choose from. Sizes range from small mini poinsettias to giant poinsettia bushes.
Here are five facts some general facts and tips about poinsettia:
1. Many people confuse the bracts (leaves) of a poinsettia plant with the flowers. The flowers are actually the small yellow cluster in the center of the bracts.
2. Poinsettias are not poisonous to your children or pets. According to a study at Ohio State University, a 50-pound child would have to eat more than 500 leaves to experience any harmful effects. Pets that eat poinsettia leaves can experience vomiting and diarrhea.
3. Poinsettia are tropical plants native to Mexico.
4. Poinsettia are very easy to care for. Water thoroughly when the soil is dry to the touch and be sure to drain excess water from the saucer.
5. Poinsettia prefer daytime room temperatures of no more than 70 degrees and will hold their flowers longer if the temperatures are cooler.
Stop by Hicks Nurseries today to shop our beautiful selection of holiday flowering plants. Our friendly knowledgeable staff help you choose the perfect poinsettia for your home or gift. We love the holidays as much as you do!
Holiday Plants at Hicks Nurseries