Fall is literally my favorite time of year to work at Hicks Nurseries. The weather is cool, the apples are fresh and I get to see adorable little farm animals every single day until Halloween!
I thought it might be helpful for me to provide some general tips about how to approach your visit. Although everyone has different ideas about how to get the most out of their Fall visit, these are some tips I’ve picked up from my 12+ years here at the nursery.
Tips & Tricks to Your Fall Visit to Hicks
- Getting Here: Hicks Nurseries is located at 100 Jericho Turnpike in Westbury New York. Visit our web site for current store hours and directions.
- First thing you’ll notice when you arrive is that we offer free parking, admission and a slew of shopping carts to hold your pumpkins, plants, children or even your dog. (dogs must be leashed and placed inside a shopping cart).
- The entrance of the store leads directly into our Main Greenhouse. It is chock full of beautiful houseplants. And don’t forget to stop and see Coco!!
- I’d then suggest heading straight back towards the Christmas Gallery. Hang a left into our free animated story featuring Otto the Ghost. At the end of the walk-through we’d appreciate it if you donated a non-perishable food item to Long Island Cares.
- Upon exiting the animated story, you will enter our beautiful Christmas Gallery. We have a ton of gorgeous ornaments and gifts for Christmas. Be sure to take a look at our Department 56 Village display – it’s really special.
- The Café is also located in the Christmas Gallery with coffee, tea, water, snacks, lunch items and more. The bathrooms are located behind the café.
- The next room leads to our Pet Patch department. We have the cutest Halloween costumes for pets! Also pet food, toys, beds, etc. Lots of cute stuff.
- Then you’re into the garden department, where you will find fertilizers, bulbs, seeds, fungicides, lawn care products, etc. Our knowledgeable staff is available to help answer any lawn and garden questions you might have.
- Then you will enter the Westhouse, which contains a myriad of Halloween/Fall decorations and many beautiful items created by our Creative Production Team. Need a custom bow or fall arrangement? We can help!
- Out the back door of the Westhouse is the Outdoor Wildlife Department which has pond fish and supplies as well as bird houses, feeders and food.
- Behind the Outdoor Wildlife Center is where you’ll find our adorable Farm animals. Make sure you look for the cute pig – I’m thinking of naming him Henry.
- Just around the corner from the animals is our Fall Food Pavilion where you can purchase Hayride tickets, popcorn, candy, candy apples, roasted corn – all of your favorite fall treats!
- After the hayride head over to the Courtyard (near the big fountain), to shop for the perfect pumpkin from our huge selection.
- I suggest you then make your way to the Market, which contains gorgeous mums, fresh apples and a pretty amazing selection of gourds and specialty pumpkins.
- At this point you can head to the cashiers or take another swing through the areas you liked most.
- And if I could ask one thing of you on your visit, it would be to take and share your pictures! Post your pictures to our Facebook, Twitter or Instagram pages and be sure to use #HicksFallFestival or #ILoveOtto.
Thanks for taking this trip around the Nursery with me! I hope you all visit soon and for many years to come. Our Fall Festival runs September 20th through October 31st. For more information about our Fall Events, visit www.HicksNurseries.com.